Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and Bookish
This week’s topic is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book. There are many things that have me avoid books but here are the things that have me running from a book.
- Omegaverse – absolutely hate it.
- Mpreg – if you want to male characters to have a baby, either have them adopt or gender bend one of the characters.
- BDSM – do what you want in the bedroom, I don’t care. But reading about certain kinks and stuff like BDSM just have me cringing like crazy.
- Daddy kinks – HOW IS THIS A THING?! There is nothing sexy about calling somebody “daddy”.
- First Person POV – It took me two years to pick up and read The Hunger Games because it was written in first person. Some authors manage this very well and I have read great books written in first person, but it is definitely something that has me sighing in annoyance when I open a new book.
- Love triangles – Ok, love triangles can be quite OK. But having your female main character hooking up with two guys is usually completely unnecessary and creates some drama that is just irrelevant to the plot. However, having a character being interested in two people is just fine. I have had crushes on more than one person at a time.
- Low Goodreads ratings: Yes, I look at the ratings. Anything under 3 makes me avoid the book.
- Instalove – sure, I believe in love at first look. But having a character losing their shit because they instantly fall in love is just not realistic and it’s not fun to read. Give me som build up people!
- Unnecessary romance/sex – sometimes romance can be a very vital and interesting part of a book. Sometimes it seems like the author has just added it because it’s something that should be a part of a book. Nah, sometimes reading a book without romance or sex is even better than reading a book that has all these things without them feeling relevant to the story.
- Cheating – like why? If you love somebody stay faithful. If you don’t love them like you once did then do the decent thing and break up with them!